Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Variations on a Theme...

For another area of my degree work I am looking at interactive website creation

To this end I have been experimenting with the original room-set render, creating various wall colours and floor types, some work better than others.

Experimental Night Time Render

Since I am not a stylist, I must admit that choosing certain colour combinations can be surprising difficult.
If you can think other colours that will work well I will be very interested to hear your ideas?!

PS:  For extra realism I will be adding a rug under the table on the versions with wooden floors.  Currently experimenting with Blender's Particle System.

Friday, 6 January 2012

Modelling Showcase 2...

Happy New Year everyone!

Today's Featured Models: Coffee pot, cup & saucer and spoon

Due to completing degree work, ready for hand in, it has taken longer than expected to post the follow up modelling showcase.  So without further ado, I present a look at some of the other models I created for the room-set scene.

Firstly, the completed models.

Stage 1-2:

To help gauge scale I decided to use another of my photographs as a template, this proved to be a big help.

1. Left image - trying carefully to followed the original coffee pot outline, I added points starting at the coffee pot base centre (orange dot), working my way along and up the right hand side, until finally finishing at the top of the coffee pot (below the lid) back in the centre.  Next, added a 'Screw modifier' to spin the points 360 degrees around the centre axis, so creating a completed object.

2. I used the same method to created the coffee pot lid, probably went a bit far with the level of detail, also modelled the lip on the lid and recessed area on the coffee pot, where the lid rests.

After applying the 'Screw modifier' it is important to enter 'Edit' mode (make sure the whole object is selected), under 'Mesh Tools' click 'Remove doubles', also possibly 'Recalculate', to remove extra faces and correct mistakes with surface normals.

Stage 3:

3. In this image I simply had a look at the models from different angles, making sure everything looked in proportion.

Stage 4-6:

4. Next, the part I was not looking forward to, modelling the spout, I had various ideas how to accomplish this, in the end (rightly or wrongly) I used a cylinder with the top & bottom removed, rotated and scaled.

5. Centre image - After tweaked the mesh, I used a 'Solidify' modifier to provide form for the inside of the spout.

6. A little more mesh tweaking later, added a handle and created a Cycles node based material trying to replicate the look of a glazed pot, as seen in the above Cycles render.

I am still not totally happy with the spout but due to time constraints had to move on and create other models for the room-set.  To finish on a positive note.  I like how the showcase scene turned out, Cycles is an amazing render engine.

If people are interested I can also post images of the spoon construction.